When is it an emergency?
Have you ever wondered if the symptoms your pet is showing are worthy of a trip to the vet? Have you every noticed that all too often these symptoms happen in the middle of the night or a long weekend when either we are closed or you're out of town and you would have to go to an emergency centre?
If the thought of heading to the vet has crossed your mind, then you should give us a call so we can help to either put your mind at ease or let you know just how quickly you need to come in.
We have put together a list of symptoms that equate to an emergency situation, where you should put your pet in your car and get yourself to us or the closest emergency centre as quickly as is safely possible.
Trouble breathing - respiratory/heart problems, heat stress can all be life threatening
Weakness and collapse - neurological issues, organ problems, internal bleeding, heart problems, poisoning, heat exhaustion
Seizures - Central nervosus system (brain) problems can be caused by toxins and other medical conditions
Panting, restless, unable to get comfortable - can indicate pain, discomort, heat stress
Blood in motions or vomit - bleeding of any type is something to have checked out straight away, particularly if it is associated with weakness or lethargy
Struggling to urinate - this can be life threatening, particularly in male cats
Not eating or drinking - some pets may skip a meal here or there, others may always clean up their food bowl so if they stop eating it's an indication something's not right
Vomiting and diarrhoea - a one off vomit and episode of diarrhoea may not be an emergency but if it persists over the course of the day, dehydration can quickly set in so you should get your pet checked out asap
Pain - if you think your pet might be in pain, you need to seek veterinary attention. Your pet might not always show a limp or vocalise when they are in pain and may simply be inactive or quieter than usual
Known exposure to toxins - don't wait until it's too late. See a vet ASAP if your pet has ingested something he shouldn't (think chocolate, snail bait, rat bait, grapes, raisins, avocado, lilies, coffee, human medication just to name a few)
If you are ever in doubt, CALL US! There is no such thing as a silly question when your pets health is at risk. It is always best to be safe rather than sorry.