Dental Chews and Additives—How They Work
Dental chews and additives are two innovative solutions designed to tackle your pet's oral hygiene in a way that's both effective and enjoyable.
Dental chews feature textured surfaces that mechanically remove plaque and tartar as your pet chews, while also stimulating saliva production and promoting gum health. Meanwhile, dental additives, when mixed with your pet's drinking water, contain antimicrobial agents and enzymes that combat bacterial growth, reduce bad breath and hinder plaque formation.
Both of these types of products offer convenient ways to support your pet’s dental hygiene, and help to prevent issues that could impact their overall health.
Dental chews for pets serve as a convenient and enjoyable way to help maintain your pet's dental hygiene. They work by addressing several oral health concerns that cats and dogs commonly face, such as plaque buildup, tartar formation, bad breath and gum disease.
1. Mechanical Action. Dental chews have a textured surface that helps mechanically remove plaque and tartar from the teeth. As your pet chews, the abrasive action of the chew helps to scrape off the buildup of plaque, which is a soft film of bacteria that can eventually harden into tartar.
2. Saliva Stimulation. Chewing on dental treats encourages the production of saliva. Saliva plays a natural cleansing role in the mouth, helping to wash away food particles and bacteria. Increased saliva production can aid in reducing the bacterial population in your pet's mouth.
3. Ingredients for Oral Health. Many dental chews contain ingredients that are specifically chosen to support oral health. These might include enzymes that help break down plaque, antimicrobial agents that target bacteria, and other compounds that contribute to overall mouth health.
4. Chewing Action. The act of chewing itself can help strengthen the muscles of the jaw and maintain healthy gum tissue. This chewing action can also stimulate blood flow to the gums, which is essential for your pet’s health.
5. Freshening Breath. Some dental chews contain ingredients like chlorophyll, mint or other freshening agents that can help improve your pet's breath by reducing the odour-causing bacteria in their mouth.
It's important to note that while dental chews can be a useful addition to your pet's oral care routine, they are not a substitute for regular veterinary dental care. Professional cleanings by a veterinarian are still necessary to address more advanced oral health issues. It's a good idea to consult with our vets before introducing dental chews into your pet's diet, especially if they have any pre-existing dental issues or dietary restrictions.
Veggident® Dental Chews for Dogs
Not all dental chews are created equally, and some may be more effective than others. For this reason we recommend Veggident® Dental Chews. Veggident® Dental Chews for dogs help to control both plaque and tartar. They also have a great taste that dogs love!
3-way performance that cleans teeth, freshens breath and supports proper digestion.
Addresses oral causes of bad breath
Cools and freshen bad breath
Healthy ingredients. Plant-based, no animal-derived ingredients, gluten-free and easily digestible
Addresses digestive causes of bad breath. Also contains a prebiotic known to support proper digestion and help maintain intestinal well‑being
Unique Z-shape allows the chew to reach front to back and everywhere in between
Generally, dental chews can be given once daily. Always talk with our vets before making changes to your dog's dental health care.
Greenies™ Dental Treats for Cats
Feline Greenies™ Dental Treats deliver essential oral care benefits and a taste that your cat will love. The specially formulated crunchy texture is designed to reduce tartar buildup by enabling your cat's teeth to sink deeply into the treat.
Dental additives such as Aquadent® and Plaque Off® are palatable water additives that help to control plaque and decrease bad breath. They are suitable for cats and dogs over 6 months of age.
1. Anti-Plaque and Anti-Tartar Action. Dental water additives often contain ingredients that help prevent the accumulation of plaque and tartar on your pet's teeth. Plaque is a sticky film of bacteria that forms on teeth and can lead to tartar buildup if not removed. Some additives contain enzymes that break down the components of plaque, making it more difficult for it to adhere to the teeth.
2. Antimicrobial Action. Many dental water additives include antimicrobial agents like chlorhexidine or essential oils. These substances help to kill or inhibit the growth of bacteria in the mouth, reducing the population of harmful bacteria that contribute to oral health issues such as bad breath and gum disease.
3. Freshening Breath. By targeting the bacteria responsible for bad breath, dental water additives can help improve your pet's breath over time. They neutralise odourous compounds produced by bacteria in the mouth, resulting in fresher breath.
4. Easy Application. Dental water additives offer a convenient way to incorporate oral care into your pet's routine. Simply adding the recommended amount of the additive to your pet's drinking water allows the product to work as they drink throughout the day.
5. Reaching Difficult Areas. Unlike dental treats or toothbrushing, dental water additives can reach all areas of your pet's mouth, even places that are difficult to access.
6. Maintenance and Prevention. Dental water additives are often used as part of a preventive approach to oral care. Regular use can help maintain oral health and prevent the buildup of plaque and tartar, reducing the need for more invasive dental treatments in the future.
As with any oral care product, it's a good idea to consult with our vets before introducing water additives to your pet's routine, especially if your pet has existing dental issues or health conditions. We can provide guidance on the most suitable products and practices for your pet's individual needs.
As always, we recommend regular dental checks with a veterinarian to ensure that your pet’s mouth is healthy and pain-free. To launch Dental Month, for the months of August & September we will be providing FREE dental checks for your pets by our nurses.
At this FREE check your pet will:
have a dental assessment and be provided with an assessment form
receive tailored advice to keep their mouths and thus health in tip-top shape
receive a FREE dental sample
To book, please call us on 9568 2211.